The Helen & Howard R.
Marraro Prize in Italian History
The Marraro Prize at a Glance
The Marraro Prize honors a book or article on Italian or Italo-American history or relations.
Any book or article with a 2022 imprint date.
Complete the online form and have three hard-copy versions of your work available for postal mailing.
Submission deadline: May 15, 2023
About the Marraro Prize
The Helen & Howard R. Marraro Prize in Italian History is given annually to the author of a book that is judged by a committee of experts to be the most distinguished work dealing with Italian history or Italo-American history or relations that has been published in a preceding twelve-month period. It is named in memory of Howard R. Marraro (1879-1972), a Columbia University professor and the author of more than a dozen books on Italian literature, history, and culture.
In his last will Professor Marraro bequeathed to the Association a sum to be invested as a fund, the income from which would be awarded each year as a prize. The present amount of the prize is $1500.
The general rules for submission are:
- Entries must be published in English by historians whose usual residence is in North America.
- Books with a copyright of 2022 are eligible for the 2023 award.
- Nomination submissions may be made by an author or by a publisher. Publishers may submit as many entries as they wish. Authors or publishers may submit the same book for multiple AHA prizes.
- Nominators must complete an online prize submission form for each book submitted.
- One copy of each entry must be sent to each committee member and clearly labeled “Marraro Prize Entry.” Print copies preferred unless otherwise indicated. If only e-copy is available, please contact review committee members beforehand to arrange submission format.
Please Note: Entries must be received by May 15, 2023, to be eligible for the 2023 competition. Entries will not be returned. Recipients will be announced on the AHA website in October 2023 and recognized during a ceremony at the January 2024 AHA annual meeting in San Francisco.
If you have questions, please contact the prize administrator.