- Regular ACHA papers and panels: extended to April 1, 2022
- Joint AHA-ACHA panels: February 16, 2022
The American Catholic Historical Association invites submissions on any topic relevant to the study of Catholicism for its annual meeting in Philadelphia, PA, January 5-7, 2023.
We are happy to return to Philadelphia, one of the earliest places in the United States to welcome Catholic worship and a city with a wide variety of Catholic immigrant groups, a vibrant parish life, and an efflorescent Catholic built environment. It is also the site of one of the earlier and more detailed grand jury reports related to the sexual abuse crisis, and the site of considerable historical violence directed against Catholic churches, and against Black communities by Catholics.
We especially encourage individual paper and panel submissions that address the following:
- Catholicism in the Mid-Atlantic
- Catholic Immigration. The Parish in Catholic History
- Catholics in the Colonial Era and Early Republic
- Art, Architecture, and Material Culture
- Transnational Catholicism
- Women and Catholicism
- Popular Movements
- The clerical sexual abuse crisis
- Communities Traditionally Marginalized in the Field of Catholic History
- Antiquity, Medieval, and Pre-modern Catholicism
The ACHA encourages panelists to submit their proposals for co-sponsorship with the American Historical Association.
The AHA deadline for joint panels is February 15, 2022. The ACHA will continue to accept paper and panel proposals until April 1, 2022.